Black Mountain Fire Tower
- Trail Information
- Trip Reports
Black Mountain is located on the Eastern side of Lake George, outside the town of Whitehall. A moderate hike of 2.5 miles, both experienced and beginning hikers will find the view enjoyable as it faces the Northern end of Lake George.
The beginning of the hike shares a road with a hunting camp. Be sure to follow the path and not wander off the path on to private property. At the top, there is a fire tower, weather station and the remains of the fire warden’s hut. The fire tower is inaccessible to the public as it is now part of the weather station.
Boaters on Lake George can also anchor off the shore and climb Black Mountain from the back side of the mountain as there is a trail that leads from Lake George to the top.
Directions from Whitehall, NY (Google Map)
- Follow Rt. 22 out of Whitehall for 7.2 miles.
- Turn left onto Country Road 6 and follow for 2.6 miles.
- Take left onto Pike Brook Road and follow for 0.8 miles.
- Parking area will be on the right and is indicated by DEC sign.
- Tuesday, April 21st, 2015 By Jonathan VolksOkay, I know it’s still April and the snow is going to be in the Adirondacks for a few more weeks but I can’t help but try to rush in spring. It’s one of my favorite times of the year and I love hiking over dirt, mud, grass, roots and rocks. Not to mention just being […]
- Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 By Jonathan VolksFinally getting around to processing my photos from my April 28th hike up Black Mountain. The weather for this hike was perfect so the landscape photos I took came out very vibrant and great color. I took all of these with my SONY A100 camera and took multiple shots to get the landscape view. I […]
- Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 By Jonathan VolksHike Date: April 28th 2012: The snow is all but gone now except for the tallest mountains in New York. For this late April hike I decided to go to Black Mountain as I haven’t been there in quite a while and always thought it was an enjoyable hike. The day started by arriving at […]